Tuesday, October 21, 2014

CURSED BY THE LAW


Galatians 3:10-14      For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” …the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.” Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

If Jesus is to regenerate me, what is the problem He is up against? I have a heredity I had no say in; I am not holy nor likely to be holy by my own efforts. If all Jesus Christ can do is to tell me I must be holy, His teaching plants despair in me.

But Jesus Christ is a Regenerator, the One who can put into me His own holiness. Now I can begin to understand what He means when He says that I must by holy. Redemption means that Jesus Christ can put into any person a disposition that is already in Himself. His standards for me are based on His disposition, His nature. His teachings are for the life He puts in me. The moral work on my part is to be in agreement with God’s verdict on sin in the Cross of Jesus Christ.

The New Testament teaching about regeneration is that when a man is struck by a sense of need, God will put the Holy Spirit into his spirit, and his personal spirit will be transformed by the Spirit of Christ. The moral miracle of redemption is that God can put into me the new disposition from which I can live a life pleasing to Him.

Just as the disposition of sin entered into the human race by one man, Adam, so now the Holy Spirit entered the human race by another God-Man, Jesus Christ. Redemption means that I can be delivered from the sin I have in me and through Jesus Christ I can receive a new nature from His Holy Spirit.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?