Monday, January 30, 2017

Keeping A Tight Line

Keeping A Tight Line

Fishermen sometimes tell one another “Keep a tight line!” They are encouraging their fellow fishermen to always have a fish on the line.

The older I get, I must confess that a tight line does not mean as much to me as it once did. I get as much enjoyment from fishing as I do from catching.

When I am fishing, I have more time to walk along the stream and enjoy the solitude and silence. I also look for places where fish might be lurking in the water. The harder I try to catch a fish, the less fish I catch and the less enjoyment I have that day fishing.

Jesus calls us to be fishers of men, not catchers! (Matthew 4:19) My job is to go where the fish are, walk among them, study their habitat and learn their ways. And then to toss out a line and see if one rises to the surface. There is more enjoyment in that easy effort, and I have better results.
This translates over to how we are to fish for people in our daily lives and ministries. I look for opportunities to speak a word about Jesus, casting here and there, and leaving the “catching” or results with God. It’s more calming for me and for the fish-the folks who might get spooked by my clumsiness.


A better word to fellow fishermen is “Keep your line in the water.” Or as a friend by the name of Peter once said, “Always be ready.” (1 Peter 3:15) 

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?