Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A THEOLOGY OF THORNS

A THEOLOGY OF THORNS

2 Corinthians 12:7-10            
There was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My trace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.


            In his book, Songs in the Night, Dr. Milton addresses the fact of thorns in our lives. Christians are not exempt from attack by Satan. Such attacks come in our spirit, from the words of people or from the ruling authorities in the world who target us directly. No matter the source, we can be sure that as followers of Christ we will be targets for those who oppose the truth. Jesus reminded the first disciples, and us, saying: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.”(John 15:18)

            Thorns are common to God’s people. Christians in every era of history have experienced them. Thorns are a gift of God to you. They are given to counter our human weakness to exalt ourselves and not Christ. Thorns may be a direct satanic attack against you. The source of thorns can be Satan himself, remember Job. Thorns can produce a sense of God’s abandonment. They create a crisis of faith and a distrust of God himself.

            Thorns produce prayer that leads to the voice of Jesus in your life. God’s intention is to remind us of our humanity and his divinity. Thorns lead to a new understanding of God’s grace in your life. What is experienced from these thorns are nothing in comparison to what Christ suffered for our own sins. Thorns lead to a new contentment in your life over the other hardships you may face. They force us to put many things in our life into their true and proper perspective. In the end, thorns can lead to victory, by way of our persevering faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

            As we contemplate the thorns in our daily life, may we find comfort and encouragement in knowing that in God’s hand such pain is used to lead us into a new life and a greater trust in Jesus.




Songs in the Night by Dr. Michael Milton.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?