Friday, May 13, 2016

TAKE OFF YOUR GRAVE CLOTHES John 11:1-45

TAKE OFF YOUR GRAVE CLOTHES

John 11:1-45 Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go." Therefore many of the Jews who ... had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him.

The power of God is now and has always been the power to raise us from the dead. Period. It is not about us. It is about God. Our only role is to stick our feet straight up in the air and admit that without God we might as well be put to bed with a shovel. Now that is a message that can empty a church out fast.ix

This story is not about Lazarus, Mary, Martha or the crowds. This story is not even about you and I. The story is about God. This event is given to shake us awake from disbelief. This and other Scripture events are spiritual darts designed to puncture our self-centered understandings about the world, ourselves and about God. This story goes beyond the realm of physical death. It is not merely given to reveal the power of God in Jesus Christ. The story is designed to reflect the glorification of God by an individual’s belief in Jesus Christ’s power to overcome even death.

Death is disbelieving. Disbelief is the reality of spiritual death. It is disbelief in God that must be overcome. Death is merely another obstacle to our faith in God. The people attending the funeral were absorbed with the circumstances of Lazarus’ death. They saw their faith in Jesus conquered by his death. But, this story transcends the circumstances of his death. Jesus himself says that Lazarus’ death was designed to show God’s glory, overcome disbelief and bring faith in Himself.
Remember, Lazarus came out!

Prayer: Lord I will remember that Lazarus came out of the tomb. He was raised from the dead by you. I will live by nurturing my faith in you! Bless me with more faith. Amen.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?