Tuesday, March 15, 2016

THE COMPANY OF THESE POOR PEOPLE 

Acts 11:25-26  Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. 

When I had heard and considered what they said, I left them, and went about my employment again: but their talk and discourse went with me, also my heart would linger with them, for I was greatly affected by their words, both because by them I was convinced that I wanted the true tokens of a truly godly man, and also because by them I was convinced of the happy and blessed condition of him that was a part of them.

Therefore I would often make it my business to go again and again into the company of these poor people; for I could not stay away; and the more I went among them, the more I did question my condition; and, as still I do remember, I found two things at which I did sometimes marvel, (especially considering what a blind, ignorant, sordid and ungodly wretch I was before) the one was, a very great softness and tenderness of heart, which caused me to fall under the conviction of what by Scripture they asserted; and the other was, a great bending in my mind to a continual meditating on them, and on all other good things which at any time I heard or read of.

By these things my mind was now so turned…still crying out, Give, give (Proverbs 30:15); it was so fixed on eternity, and on the things about the kingdom of heaven…that neither pleasures, nor profits, nor persuasions, nor threats, could loosen it, or make it let go its hold; and though I may speak it with shame, yet it is in very deed a certain truth, it would then have been as difficult for me to have taken my mind from heaven to earth, as I have found it often since to get it again from earth to heaven.

Grace Abounding To The Chief Of Sinners by John Bunyan, pg.15.

     

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?