Wednesday, August 5, 2015

OUR NEED FOR WASHING

Titus 3:4-5   But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior.
   
Jesus, my feet are dirty. Come and slave for me; pour your water into your basin and come and wash my feet. I am overbold, I know, in asking this, but I dread what you threatened when you said: “If I do not wash your feet, it means you have no companionship with me.” Wash my feet, then, because I do want to have companionship with you. And yet, why am I saying: “Wash my feet”? It was all very well for Peter to say that, for in his case all that needed washing was his feet: he was clean through and through. My position is quite different: you may wash me now, but I shall still need that other washing you were thinking of , Lord, when you said: “There is a baptism I must needs be baptized with.”     Origen

The Macmillan Book of Earliest Christian Prayers, By R. Forrester Church & Terrence J. Mulry, pg. 37.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?