Saturday, August 29, 2015

NEVER SAY NEVER



Psalm 10:4-6           In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. His ways are always prosperous he is haughty and your laws are far from him; he sneers at all his enemies. He says to himself, “Nothing will shake me; I’ll always be happy and never have trouble.”

A psalm of lament

Pride is such a subtle and deceitful thing. Persecution can be subtle, but most often it is quite open and evident. Overconfidence knows no bounds and bullies others into submission. Pride, persecution and overconfidence are all rampant in the world today. The reason for the strife and suffering we see is these three demons of men. Such character traits are evident in the person who rejects the fact of God’s existence.

Accountability comes to mind when we speak of someone who has no belief in God. For this person there is no moral standard for which we all should submit. Without a universal standard people are then open to follow any standard for moral actions they so choose. The result is what we often say “anything goes”. Pride says that my happiness and desires are the ultimate determiner of my future and my contentment. I am accountable to no one but myself and to the standards I have set for me.

Without accountability then other people are merely obstacles or avenues to my self-fulfillment. I can do to them whatever I so choose because my plans, my happiness and my moral compass are all that matter, to me. Persecution becomes an instrument to be wielded for my purposes and for my benefit. People become tools and tools can be worn out or broken, if necessary.

Overconfidence is the fulfillment of pride and persecution. I can do anything, and no one can stop me. There is no God since my actions and beliefs have not been stopped. No one has challenged by approach to life with anything more credible or successful. Such a view of self and the world leaves a person saying to himself, “I’ll always be happy and never have trouble”. Never say never!

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?