Monday, August 24, 2015

GREAT EXPECTATIONS


Psalm 5:3      O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.

A psalm of lament

The alarm rings and I jump out of bed. I stagger to the kitchen and flip on the light. The coffee pot is filled with water first and I place it on the stove to boil. Next I rinse out the French Press and scoop into it three ounces of fresh coffee. Walking down the hall to the back door, I unlock it and walk around the house to the drive-way. At the end of the drive I pick-up the newspaper and trudge back to the house. I place the paper on the table and grab my reading glasses. Before I sit down the coffee pot begins to whistle and I switch off the stove while I pour the water into the French Press. The paper awaits and my morning begins.

Not a very religious way to start your day, I know. But it works for me. I cannot sleep walk nor can I sleep read. Once the paper is read and the first cup of coffee is finished, I am awake to pray and read God’s Word. That is how my days begin.

After a morning prayer and reading, I begin to tell God what I would like to accomplish in the day ahead. I then ask Him to adjust the schedule according to His plan for my day. I am always amazed at what transpires throughout the hours of each day. Sometimes my appointments and plans are changed. People cancel or postpone meetings. Work that was to be accomplished is interrupted by the needs of a client or staff person. A crisis may arise and off I go to address a problem.

Then in the waning hours of the day I find myself able to sit down and write a message for the devotional. This is the joy or “icing” for the day that has passed. My expectations for the day were not all met. But the greatest expectation was met, I am able to be in His Word as the day draws to a close. What a great day this has been and God had His way with me.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?