Saturday, January 24, 2015

GOD’S PRIZE


Philippians 3:13-14  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
  
            In my early high school years, I competed on the track team and participated in the shot put and discus competition. I never medaled in an event, but enjoyed the setting of a track meet. Once in a while, the shot put and discus groups were invited to compete in a “weight man’s” relay at the end of the running events. I’ll never forget the first time I did this. I was nervous. As the second leg in the four-man race, I just wanted to give a respectable outing. Anything less would be embarrassing to me and to my team.

            One day we competed against our arch rivals across the river. There was a history of “bad blood” between the two schools and athletic events brought out that passion. Because the score was tied, officials decided to have a weight man’s relay at the end of the meet. I distinctly remember that twenty yards past the finish line stood a table upon which the event trophy sat for the winning team. The person running the last leg of this race could see the trophy as he turned the corner to the finish line. I said to myself as the gun sounded, “This is a powerful incentive to give it your all.”

            At this stage in my life, I don’t remember who won the race. However, I learned a greater lesson that day. In the race of faith (Hebrews 12:1-2), we’re encouraged to run with perseverance and focus. Sometimes in life it’s hard to think about the finish line when we’re hurting and distressed. But God wants us to stretch forward by faith. There’s a prize awaiting us. Give Christ your best right now. Run with Hebrews 10:35 in mind, “So, do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.” Go for it!

Written by H. Curtis McDaniel

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?