Wednesday, December 10, 2014

UNDERSTANDING THE VALLEY


Psalm 23:4      Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…

            Life is not always a “rose garden” of joy and fulfillment. Everyone suffers through times of trial and darkness. Christians are not exempt from periods of dryness or silence from God. Perseverance in faith carries us through these times. Having experienced these periods in life, we find that we have learned something new or grown spiritually. God is never absent in those times. In fact, these times bring us closer to Him as the years go by.

I am a sheep without a shepherd. I do not know whom to follow – and I am utterly in want.
I am empty. Nothing satisfies. Nothing refreshes me. I find no real fulfillment. No lasting security. No real rest.
I feel like a lost soul – totally, irretrievably depleted.
I don’t believe anyone walks with me in the darkest valley! And contemplation of my own mortality holds me ‘all my lifetime in bondage under fear of death’ – for in that final hour I will be profoundly alone!
I feel misguided and I find no authentic comfort in anything.
None.
I feel unwelcome in my world, always hungry for something – and totally overwhelmed by a thousand threatening forces.
My blistered headaches, with no oil of relief. My joy cup is dry all the way to the bottom. Bone dry.
I have given up hoping for any real quality to my life. In fact, genuine goodness and mercy have eluded me all of my days – and I don’t really expect things to change.
Oh, how I ache to belong somewhere. But I don’t really feel at home anywhere…And I think I will feel lonely and homeless forever. 
 (Un-Psalm 23 by Lynn Anderson)

            Shepherds know this valley. They know the darkness and loneliness of being without any source of physical or spiritual comfort. Imagine living with this condition for years or decades on end. How sad and debilitating you would be. Yet that is how many of the people we minister to live. They find their way to our door in just this condition. You are the shepherd of God to lead them through the valley of the shadow of death. Show them His love.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?