Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Do Not Be Ashamed



Romans 1:14-16a       I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel.

Paul’s labor was not inspired by those to whom he was sent, but by his abiding sense of the divine obligation which rested on him. Opposition did not deter him. He knew that all men everywhere needed the gospel.
 
I often speak at civic clubs, business luncheons, churches and other social service organizations. My invitation is to tell about our programs and services at Jericho Road Ministries. The people in attendance cover a broad segment of our community. There have been doctors, retirees, students, nurses, psychologists, teachers, craftsmen, rabbis, lawyers, etc.   
 
The audiences respond in three ways. Some of the people are indifferent to my discussion. The subject of helping homeless people or providing opportunities to released inmates is not of much interest to them. Their eyes glaze over and they remain courteous and quiet during my talks.
 
Other people are hostile. They are service providers who address the physical or mental needs of the poor or homeless. They are upset by my discussion of providing services in Jesus’ Name. They find religious talk or faith in Christ an awful means for providing relief. To them, people need “professional” attention. They have voiced their dislike for my witness.

The mission of Jericho Road Ministries is to lovingly proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ to the economically, emotionally and spiritually impoverished. When the opportunity arises I explain what this means, wherever I speak. God always provides people in the audience who listen attentively, nod their heads in agreement and bring words of encouragement when I have finished. They are not ashamed of the gospel either.

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?