Saturday, June 28, 2014

The old testament summarized

Matthew 7:12              So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.



The Law of Love is specifically Christian. It is only found here in the positive form noted above. Other religious writers have similar phrases but they are written in the negative; ie. Do not lie to others, otherwise they will lie to you.

Jesus' Law of Love is a fulfilling of the Old Testament Law. If we act with love toward others then our self-centered approach to relationships would vanish. All the prohibitions of the Ten Commandments would be met if we were to practice this Law of Love. It does not diminish but leads us to a better understanding of Biblical ethics. The foundation on which God set His Law was Love.

God so loved His creation that "he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). God's love opened the door for the poor in spirit, opened the eyes of the meek and gave good gifts to the hungry and thirsty.

There are times when patience and kindness would make me feel better. If I spent less time envying others for what they had, I would boast less about myself and realize how much my pride dictates by actions. When I take the time to honor others I have less time to be self-seeking and angry. Without time on my hands I wouldn’t bother to keep track of what others do to me nor plot to get back at them. If I look to find the truth in others I can respond with a protecting and trusting posture. I can persevere with them and hope for them. In the end, I would never fail to be there for them.



Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?