Thursday, April 10, 2014

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER


Matthew 5:3-6     Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.


I was selected to deliver meals on Thanksgiving morning to shut-ins and others needing a hot meal that day. I followed the directions to an address in a gated community with large homes, manicured lawns and new cars. Pulling into the driveway I could not help but wonder why someone with a splendid home and Mercedes sedan would be calling us for a meal. I pressed the door chime with a healthy amount of callousness in my heart. The door opened and I introduced myself and offered a middle-aged woman the carryout meal. She forced a smile, took the container and invited me in. She offered me a drink and we sat in the living room. I told her the reason for our providing the meal and asked if one meal would be enough. Her face took a more somber look and she shared with me the fact that her husband had died just two weeks earlier. She had no family in the area and did not feel up to going to friends or a restaurant. We talked for a long time and I left. I realized on the drive back to the church why God had led me to her door. My heart was changed by the encounter and to this day I look at people in need with different eyes, ears and heart.

 The people that come to Jericho Road are not always dressed the way most of us might expect them to be. They might even driver new cars than you. From all backgrounds and walks of life they come to us for help. Whether at the shelter or food pantry they are accepted for the need they present. Our help encourages them. We leave the critical evaluation of the heart to God. We share His love with them when we share our eternal hope in Jesus Christ and when we provide a basket of food or a nights lodging. 

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?