Sunday, April 21, 2013

SHEPHERDING CATS


              It seems to me that God has each of us here at the Mission working our own programs. As Christians we are constantly being renewed into the image of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ. As Chaplain here at Jericho, I am finding my role evolving into that of a shepherd among both the staff and clients. Much of my time with clients, staff, volunteers and visitors to our stores and shelters has focused on how to point them in the direction of Christ. Only Christ is able to heal their hearts, dissolve their anger, provide them hope, encourage their obedience and give them new life. My role as shepherd is to lead them to Him.

             Someone once wrote that shepherding people is more like trying to shepherd Cats. This is because we humans are very independent. Independence is what we are taught from an early age to achieve. Our culture exhorts us to be independent and free. But I am finding that for myself, and others here at the Mission, independence needs to be overcome so that together we may live as the body of Christ. This is the shepherds challenge.

              Clients here at the Mission have been independent for too long. They have found their independence has almost completely destroyed them. Because of your support and prayers, we are able to help these people recognize their need for the Good Shepherd to gather them into His flock. 

              I pray that Christ will continue to bless you as one of the sheep of His pasture!

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?