Thursday, October 24, 2013

THE GREAT “I AM”



John 6:35, 37  The Jesus declared, “I AM the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty… All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.”



“I AM”, is the name God gives himself in Exodus 3:14. It is by this name that God would be known and worshiped by the Israelites. This name expressed the character of God; his dependably and his faithfulness. God desired that his people would place their full trust in Him. Jesus applied this phrase from Exodus to himself; in doing so he claimed to be God and risked being stoned for blasphemy in John 8:58-59. Seven times he draws attention to himself in this manner by saying of himself, “I AM”.

I AM the Bread of Life. In this passage Jesus declares the fulfilling and unchanging power that he has. He is able to feeds us in a manner that brings emotional and spiritual fulfillment to us. When many people seek him for the material blessings, like food, they miss the fact that his mission is to feed us by meeting the spiritual needs we have. The emptiness in people’s hearts is caused by the absence of God and the consequences of  sin. Like the woman at the well, we have needs that we can never fulfill ourselves or with the help of others. This need can only be met and relieved by Christ. He is able to meet all our needs.

The other point to note in this passage is that Jesus has power beyond meeting that need. You and I must continually eat, each day, every week, our entire lives. When Jesus feeds a person’s soul, he feeds it once and forever. Once healed by His touch, the healing remains. Once saved by the power of the Holy Spirit you remain saved. “Whoever comes to me I will never drive away” says Jesus. If we come to him he feed us and we will never go hungry again. If we believe in him we will never be thirsty again. Coming to him and believing in Him is a salvation moment. If God gives us to Jesus, then we go to him and we then believe in him. He will not lose us and we will have eternal life with him. 

Ministry Scenes

Have The Homeless Become Invisible?